HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! Christmas is a wonderful time to share a joyful spirit with those around us. I love to create Christmas gifts for my loved ones. Nothing compares to the pleasure of giving handmade gifts to special people.
This Holiday, I decided to participate in my first Ornament Swap, hosted by Tutus and Tea Parties and Robyn's View.
I was paired up with Liz from Here's to Handy Andy. We exchanged ideas and I decided to create Candy Cane Ornaments using an embroidery hoop. Liz loves candy cane anything for Christmas.
To begin, I gathered the following materials:
- 3" Embroidery Hoop
- Black felt
- White Felt
- Red Embroidery Floss
- Embroidery Needle
- 1/8" Red Ribbon
- Glitter - optional
- Fabric or craft glue
- Foam Brush
- Freezer Paper
- Metallic Glaze - I used Martha Stewart's Metallic Glaze in Black Coffee
- Trace a 3" and 4" circles onto the dull side of the Freezer Paper. This is the first time I use Freezer Paper. I love this product as it adds more stability to the felt, which makes cutting a breeze. To trace the 3" circle, I used the outer hoop section. The 4" circle was traced using a plastic ice cream cup.
- Trace a 1/4" wide X 2" long candy cane - not shown.
- Using the foam brush, apply glaze to both hoop sections. Apply glitter while surface is still wet. Let dry completely.
- Cut Freezer Paper designs leaving approximately 1/4" around tracing lines.
- Arrange designs on felt.
- Iron designs onto the front of the felt pieces. Do not use the steam setting.
- Cut out the ironed designs using the tracing lines as a guide.
- Remove Freezer paper from the designs.
- Stretch felt onto the inner embroidery hoop. Attach outer hoop and tight hoop screw.
- Using the embroidery floss, make 14-15 long stitches over the candy cane to hold it in place.
- Turn hoop over and cut any excess felt. Glue the 3" circle to the back.
- For the ornament's hanger, take a piece of ribbon and tie both ends together. Thread ribbon through the hoop's screw.
And here it is.... The Sweet Candy Cane ornament.
I hope Liz likes it.
I hope Liz likes it.
I received this beautiful ornament from Liz. She wrapped a glass ball with burlap and Christmas fabrics. I love it... Thanks Liz...